On Saturday 09 May 2009 21:04:31 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Saturday 09 May 2009 18:48:32 Florian Philipp wrote:
> > The way I do it usually:
> >
> > mplayer dvd://1 -dumpaudio -dumpfile sound.ac3
> > [wait]
> > a52dec -o wav < sound.ac3 > sound.wav
> > oggenc sound.wav
> >
> > e voila: sound.ogg is a rather small audio file at ~128kbit/s (or was
> > it 160?)
> >
> > You'll need
> >
> > media-video/mplayer USE="dvd a52"
> > media-libs/a52dec
> > media-sound/vorbis-tools
>
> Thank you both. I'll look into those ideas tomorrow (it's evening here
> after a long week of short nights and much adrenalin).

Well, using undvd stripped out an 86MB .avi file, which I've uploaded to the
Web site. The sound came out just fine in ogg, but I haven't got a usable
mp3 out of it yet.

Is there a way to stream an avi file through a browser? Just clicking on it
in Firefox causes it to be downloaded first, which might well put people
off when it takes so long.

--
Rgds
Peter