> > For you guys with older hardware/drivers, have you tried
> turning on CONFIG_UNUSED_SYMBOLS and recompiling the kernel
> to see if its helps? (Kernel hacking -> Enable
> unused/obsolete exported symbols).
<snip>
> That is a good find.  I can't say that it is the problem but
> it was not
> enabled on my kernel but it is now.  I'll try to test this later on as
> well.  This sounds like what the error was reporting it
> couldn't find. This could work.

If it does work it would be worth a bug report to get the nvidia ebuild(s)
updated similar to the ati ones;

# grep -i symbol ati-drivers-8.593.ebuild
        if kernel_is ge 2 6 26 && ! linux_chkconfig_present UNUSED_SYMBOLS; then
            ewarn "You have to Enable unused/obsolete exported symbols in
Kernel hacking section of kernel config for fglrx to load"