On Tue, 19 May 2009 08:24:57 -0700, fe...@crowfix.com wrote:
> I used to not know about bash completion, and all was fine.  Then I
> read a bit about it and gave it a try, and all was still fine, and
> pretty handy.  But somewhere along the way, bash completion has
> screwed up, and now various things which used to work before bash
> completion no longer work.  Such as
>
>    cd $WWW/<tab>
>
> where $WWW is one of my shell env vars.  It just dings, refuses to
> complete.  I have to cd $WWW then cd again.
>
> Or
>
>     vi `ls /usr/port<tab>`
>
> It won't complete anything inside back quotes.

Which version of bash-completion do you use ?
If it is 0.20081219-r1 or earlier, configuration has change as notified by
ELOG summary after updating it, now you need to use eselect to enable
bash-completion.

Try as root : eselect bashcomp enable --global base and eselect bashcomp
enable --global gentoo to get some basics...
As a normal user, remove the --global switch.

HTH.

--
      Xavier Parizet
YaGB :   http://gentooist.com