On Friday 22 May 2009 00:11:12 Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 May 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Edit the world file and remove every version number in that file if
> > present. You don;t need it and portage is infinitely better at tracking
> > it than you are. Then remove everything with a category ending in "lib",
> > these rarely need to be in world.
>
> Arrrgh!  Does this mean that I shouldn't have all these in there:
>
> media-libs/libdvdcss
> media-libs/libdvdnav
> media-libs/libdvdread
> media-libs/libflash
> media-libs/libmodplug
> media-libs/libmp4v2
> media-libs/libmpcdec
> media-libs/libmpeg2
> media-libs/libmpeg3
> media-libs/libogg
> media-libs/libpng
> media-libs/libquicktime
> media-libs/libsamplerate
> media-libs/libsdl
> media-libs/libtheora
>
> Also, as you can see from media-libs/libmpeg am I having duplicate packages
> in there?

Those are useful packages, so you probably do want them. Just not in world :-)

If --depclean wants to remove them, you could add them back, or look closely
at your media apps to see which USE has been removed.

libmpeg2 and libmpeg3 are different packages. The numbers are part of the
name, not a version number.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com