On 27 May 2009, at 10:11, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
Nah, that just doesn't cut it.  It's annoying as hell.  It's far less
annoying to simply "equery uses" on the USE flags you see during an
"emerge -a" and edit make.conf by hand instead of doing the
scroll-circus. You try to read text by constantly scrolling right and left. It doesn't work for me, and probably for the majority of others
neither.

oh yeah, scrolling for a tenth of a second is so much slower than feeding equery or euse and then open make.conf, type, check that you did not forget
something ....

When you called me a liar, the post you were replying to contained a bit of detail on this.

Apparently you didn't bother to read all that, and just jumped to some kind of conclusions and treated me like an idiot.

It's all about a matter of user interfaces and modes of thought. For some people, a curses interface just isn't going to be as smooth as some other.

Personally, if I type `emerge -pv mplayer` and see 30 different USE flags listed, then it doesn't help me that they will be obscured if I run ufed (which takes over the whole terminal window, overwriting the output I was just looking at). No longer can I see what USE flags I'm supposed to be looking for, and it doesn't help that there are loads of USE flags in the tree that are unmemorable 4 letter acronyms.

That's why `euses` or `equery uses` just really suit me well. I can don't have to open make.conf because I use flagedit, and I can bring these commands up really quickly by typing ctrl-r and three letters; when I retrieve a line from Bash history I tend to use the down-arrow immediately followed by the up-arrow to get the cursor to the end of the line; I can then use ctrl-w to delete the last word of the historical command, and then I just type the new package or USE that I want to query. For me this works very quickly. I guess it just suits my keyboard style.

I don't want to have to bitched out because your favourite tool doesn't suit me.

Stroller.