Alan McKinnon wrote:

So I have opted for #5: vserver-sources, and I have multiple instances
of apache running in pretty good isolated vserver-guests.
My €0.0144 ...

I used vserver once, and was very impressed with the performance. I didn't use it eventually, as I found administering a real running instance was non- intuitive to anyone but me and I found it very hard to get people to grok how to run the things.

That was in the days of pre-baselayout-2 when one had to use a very hackish and buggy baselayout. How does it fare with v2?

I've been using vserver just for a few months. baselayout2 is still ~arch iirc, but I never had any problem with it. Once baselayouts2 goes
finally stable, you can install guests with standard stage3. Untill then
a slightly tweaked stage3 (with baselayout2) must be used...

I'm running now 27 guests on very moderate server (AMD64/X2, 4GB RAM),
every service on its own guest, with only ssh and logging on host.
Even for gcc-upgrade I created new vserver-guest, to test it a little
before updating server (host).

Configuration is rather complex (especially for a newbie), but not
very difficult. It is definitelly an adult-looking project now,
worth giving a try...

Jarry