Mick wrote:
> On Monday 01 June 2009, Michael Niggli wrote:
>
>> Mick wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Until gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r5 came out I was able to use my ath5 card
>>> with wpa_supplicant.  My /etc/conf.d/net contained:
>>> =============================================
>>> modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
>>> wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dmadwifi"
>>> =============================================
>>> [snip]
>>>
>> Hi Mick
>>
>> You might want to try and change
>>      wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dmadwifi"
>>      wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dwext"
>>
>> Works like a charm over here :-)
>>

> Thanks Michael, I did try it, but I am not sure if wpa_supplicant is meant to
> work with kernel modules or with external modules ... or with both?

It should work with both - from its perspective, there shouldn't be any
difference between in-kernel or an external module, actually :-)

So if it doesn't work already with -Dwext, you might want to make sure
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf is properly configured
(wpa_supplicant usually doesn't automatically pick up networks it is not
configured for).

man wpa_supplicant.conf helps here :-)

A minimal configuration for an unencrypted network might look like

   ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
   network={
           ssid="your-essid"
           key_mgmt=NONE
   }