On Wednesday 03 June 2009 18:39:56 Dale wrote:
> >> will it respect the settings I've compiled
> >> into 2.6.28 or will they need to be reset again before 2.6.29 is
> >> compiled?
> >
> > No. Not unless you give it the old config to use. IIRC it has some
> > feature to use the config for the currently running kernel
> > (/proc/config.gz) if the running kernel supports it. But I could be may
> > off course here too.
>
> Why not copy the config from the old kernel over and run make
> oldconfig?  May need to do some cleaning after genkernel tho.

That's the correct way :-)

But the OP asked if there was some magic way to get genkernel to use the same
config as #SOME_OTHER_KERNEL.

Which of course makes no sense as there can be multiple versions and configs
present.

The small remaining part of me that is still mostly unaffected by the onset of
senility seems to remember genkernel being able to do something expressed as:

zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config
genkernel [....]

Which I suppose is a reasonable thing for an app like genkernel to do.
But I could also just be imagining it. It happens :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com