2009/6/3 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm afraid that although my card is now recognised as wlan0, both
>> wpa_cli and gui insist on trying to connect to ath0, unless I specify
>> -iwlan0 at the terminal.  I don't have (knowingly) specified ath0 in
>> any other configuration file ... where else could wpa_supplicant pick
>> this from?
>
> On my system I've got ath5k for wifi, too. It uses wpa_supplicant and
> my device is wlan0 and all works well enough. I switched 2 machines
> from madwifi to ath5k and only had to make 4 changes to my
> configuration:
>
> 1. Edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and add this line:
> blacklist ath_pci

I didn't have to do that.

> 2. In /etc/conf.d/net I have changed this line:
> wpa_supplicant_ath0="-Dmadwifi"
>
> to this:
> wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"

Yep, done that.

> 3. In /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules I deleted the old
> entry for my wireless card and let it re-create, which came out as:
> # PCI device 0x168c:0x001c (ath5k_pci)
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
> ATTR{address}=="00:15:af:15:e3:3e", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*",
> NAME="wlan0"

I deleted the old rule in there.

> 4. Rename /etc/init.d/net.ath0 symlink to /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 and
> make sure it is in the "default" runlevel.

Aha!  Hadn't done that until now and I also deleted /var/run/wpa_supplicant/ath0

This has fixed it!  wpa_cli and wpa_gui now find my card.  Thank you
all for your help.

PS.  I noticed that unlike madwifi the in-kernel driver does not work
particularly well with iwlist:

# iwlist wlan0 ap
wlan0     Interface doesn't have a list of Peers/Access-Points

# iwlist wlan0 rate
wlan0     unknown bit-rate information.
          Current Bit Rate=24 Mb/s

wpa_cli thought shows the full list of APs.
--
Regards,
Mick