On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Paul
Hartman<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Mark Knecht<markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to update LITE-ON firmware?
>
> Yes, but only from within MS Windows as far as I know. Here is the
> latest official firmware for your LDW-411S:
>
> http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/ODD/LDW-411S/firmware/DR4FS0K.zip
>
> From your logs, you're using FS0B, so FS0K is 9 revisions newer!
>
> And here for the other drive,
>
> http://www.liteonit.com/DOWNLOADS/ODD/LTR-48246S/firmware/R48SS0E.zip
>
> From your logs, it looks like your LTR-48246S is SS0B so SS0E would be
> 3 revisions newer.
>
> Both new firmware releases above were released in March 2006 according
> to Lite-On's site.

OK - thanks for that Paul. Since the machine is dual boot and I'm in
Windows most of the working day this wasn't too difficult. Both drive
have had their firmware updated. Still the LDW-411S reads the ISRC's
incorrectly. The LTR-48246 looks good though. (It was good before the
firmware upgrade also, so actually no change, but the firmware is
updated and that's good.

In parallel with the efforts on that machine I made headway on another
machine - my new MythTV backend server of all things. It's a PowerPC
based Mac Mini- 1st generation - with a Matshita drive in it. I
started with cdda2wav -paranoia at max speed and it failed. I lowered
it to 20, then 16, then 8. Paranoia kept failing. Finally at speed=6
it worked.

Armed with that data I used cdrecord to write a new copy and amazingly
it worked. Plays just fine in the car. I haven't had time yet to see
if an iTunes box picks up cddb data or anything like that but at least
it worked on the car. If there are other problems hopefully I can get
those worked out soon.

I started a similar test using the LTR-48246 with another CD-R that I
haven't been able to copy. Using paranoia so far 16x and above failed,
I'm trying 8x now.

Anyway, it seems I'm making some headway. I really appreciate your and
Jeorg's help! Thanks!

Cheers,
Mark