On Jun 10, 2009, at 2:20 AM, James Homuth wrote:

On 06/10/2009 09:50 AM, James Homuth wrote:

Hello all,
First off I'll admit to not knowing as much as I should about my
system, and am hoping to correct that as I go (that's part of the
reason I'm actually doing it this way). I'm trying to set up X on my
system, and am not entirely sure which video card I have.

You open the case of the PC, remove the graphics card and take a good look
at it :P

And if you can't see the card, nevermind well enough to open the case? :P

I can testify that this method does not always work. I had bought a name brand video card, but it turned out to be a generic card that did not have a manufacturers
name, logo or even model number on it, not even a sticker.

lshw usually works.  If needed, emerge lshw