On 06/10/2009 10:25 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
Today's sync includes PyQt4-4.5 which is blocked by pykde4-4.2.4 (incompatible
and build issues). Apparently pykde4-4.3 will fix this, but meanwhile I need
to get emerge world to run and complete.

To decide what to mask and what to leave, I need to discover what these
packages actually do and what the effect will be if I unmask stuff. I *could*
experiment, but will probably overlook many important things. As an assist to
figuring this out and deciding, can someone tell me what pykde4 and PyQt4
actually do and how these packages use them.

I recommend putting "-python" in your make.conf followed by "emerge -auDN world" and then a depclean along with revdev-rebuild. This should get rid of Python bindings. Usually, when you're not sure if you need them, you don't need them. PyQt and PyKDE are big packages and not worth having to just lying around.