On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:08:05 +0200
Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinri...@online.de> wrote:

> > I believe there's "after device-mapper" line already in lvm-2.02.45, so
> > it should run fine, but as an additional precaution I have dm-crypt
> > script at sysinit runlevel, which starts device-mapper and dm-crypt
> > before lvm or even it's runlevel (boot).
>
> That's not needed, it should be sufficient to have them all in the boot
> runlevel:

So LVM would start before dmcrypt? Great.

> > It makes sense for me, since some lvm pv's (not root) are actually on
> > encrypted partitions, although I mount these even earlier, but should
> > initrd become incompatible w/ latest kernel, dm-crypt should do the job
> > instead.
>
> No, it does not make sense. You don't even need an initrd.

I do, but mainly for other purposes.
Mounting encrypted partitions from there is a bonus and while root is
not encrypted (although it doesn't even holds most configuration
from /etc) it is an LVM volume.
Can linux boot from lvm root w/o initrd these days?

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net