Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:16:51 -0400, John P. Burkett wrote:
>
>> The response included the following lines:
>>  * Determining the location of the kernel source code
>>  * Found kernel source directory:
>>  *     /usr/src/linux
>>  * Found sources for kernel version:
>>  *     2.6.20-gentoo-r6
>>  * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
>>  *   CONFIG_DM_CRYPT:        is not set (required for cryptsetup)
>>  *
>>  * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
>>  * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
>>  * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
>>  *   CONFIG_CRYPTO:  is not set (required for cryptsetup)
>>  *
>>  * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
>>  * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
>>  * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
>>  *   CONFIG_CRYPTO_CBC:      is not set (required for kernel 2.6.19)
>>  *
>>  * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
>>  * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
>>
>> The references to kernel version 2.6.20 and 2.6.19 surprised me because
>> doing "uname -r" produces "2.6.17-gentoo-r4". Suggestions about how to
>> set CONFIG_DM_CRYPT and CONFIG_CRYPTO appropriately would be
>> appreciated.  As a user of kernel 2.6.17, may I leave CONFIG_CRYPTO_CBC
>> unset?
>
> It's not checking the running kernel, but the sources pointed to by
> the /usr/src/linux symlink. I take it you have 2.6.20 installed. Change
> the symlink to point to the kernel in use.

Thank you, Neil, for your clear explanation.  I've now changed the symlink.

>> In dmcrypt I find two references to LUKS.  First, "the init-script which
>> reads this file detects whether your partition is LUKS or not. No mkfs
>> is run unless you specify a makefs"  Second,
>> "# options='<opts>' == cryptsetup, for LUKS you can only use --readonly"
>> The meaning of these references is not clear to me.
>
> It's explained in the cryptsetup man page.
Thanks for the pointer.  As far as I can tell from the man page, no
action is required by me now regarding LUKS.

>> Then come the instruction:
>>  * If you are using baselayout-2 then please do:
>>  * rc-update add dmcrypt boot
>>
>> Doing "locate baselayout-2" produces
>> /var/cache/edb/dep/usr/portage/sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0
>> /usr/portage/metadata/cache/sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0
>> /usr/portage/metadata/cache/sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.1
>> /usr/portage/sys-apps/baselayout/baselayout-2.0.0.ebuild
>> /usr/portage/sys-apps/baselayout/baselayout-2.0.1.ebuild
>>
>> Does the presence of those files indicate that my system is "using"
>> baselayout-2?
>
> No, those are just the files in your portage tree. Run emerge -p
> baselayout, or eix -e baselayout to see when you are running.
Thanks again.  Doing "eix -e baselayout" indicates that I'm using
version 1.12.11.1.  Hence there seems to be no need to do "rcupdate add
dmcrypt boot"

Best regards,
John

--