On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Alan McKinnon<alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 26 June 2009 21:05:01 Mark Knecht wrote:
>> So the weirdness continues. mesa built but then xorg-server failed
>> with the same failure:
>>

>>  * >>> SetUID: [chmod go-r] /usr/bin/Xorg ...
>>                        [ ok ]
>>
>> Switching to xorg-x11 OpenGL interface...ln: creating symbolic link
>> `./libglx.so': File exists
>> !!! Error: Failed to create /lib/libglx.so
>
> Looks like you have a file collision between xorg-server and mesa, which is
> odd as those packages get a lot of testing.
>
> Anything on bugs.gentoo.org?

I haven't looked there yet but I will.

I'm on a mission here. For this machine I want emerge -e @system to
install NOTHING having to do with X11. After I get to that point,
depclean'ed, revdep'ed, eix-test-obsoleted, then I'm going back to
installing X from scratch. I've just gotten past the emerge -e @system
part now.

I'm sort of surprised the openssh shows up as part of @system, or it's
getting pulled in somehow, and its default flags are dragging in X.

Sort of anal I suppose but these machine have been neglected for the
last couple of years being stuck with old drivers & old kernels. If
I'm going to try and get the newest ati-drivers working I feel like I
sort of owe it to those developers (and myself) to have as few issues
hanging out as possible.

Thanks,
Mark