On 6/28/09, meino.cra...@gmx.de <meino.cra...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Arttu V. <arttu...@gmail.com> [09-06-28 13:27]:
>> man tex
>>
>> "When called as virtex  it will  use  the  plain format."
>>
>> Not sure if this is what is called "plainTeX", I've only used LaTeX.
>
> Yes, it is...
> tetex leaves the names of the executables untouched...
>
> Ok, here is what I got:
>
> /home/mccramer>virtex texfile.tex
> This is TeXk, Version 3.1415926 (Web2C 7.5.7)
>  %&-line parsing enabled.
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt plain.fmt
> I can't find the format file `plain.fmt'!

Could they be hidden in the USE=""extra" as Debian seems to have
something similar sounding in such a package:

http://packages.debian.org/fi/lenny/texlive-formats-extra

"texsis -- Plain TeX macros for Physicists."

Unfortunately I have USE="-extra" as they caused some trouble on
Gentoo and I didn't really need them at that moment.

--
Arttu V.