On 2009-06-29, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> You can't do stuff like channel scanning with the first two,
> so running mythtv-setup over SSH is the only option, which
> means you need qt3 and X libs on a headless server :(

I know.  Making channel-scanning a separate text-mode
application similar to mythfilldatabase would solve that
problem.  The thing I find truly odd about MythTv is that is
_is_ split up into frontend-UI-player and backend-server yet
the backend is so distinctly ill-suited to be installed on a
"server" type machine.

This time around, I'm installing the backend on a normal
"desktop" machine that's already going to have an X server, but
it's probably going to be the only app that requires Qt3.

I should try out Freevo some day.  It's written in Python, so
it should be more stable than MythTv. But, it doesn't support
my tuner yet, and it doesn't appear to support a separate
backend with multiple frontends.