On Jul 5, 2009, at 2:32 AM, Dale wrote:

Hi all,

I'm wanting to give KDE 4 another shot.  I used autounmask to add all
the lines to package.unmask and package.keyword.  It was quite a lot I
might add.  Anyway, I'm getting this now.

Total: 238 packages (2 upgrades, 2 downgrades, 117 new, 117 in new
slots), Size of downloads: 390,805 kB

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

dev-python/sip:0

 ('ebuild', '/', 'dev-python/sip-4.8.1', 'merge') pulled in by
=dev-python/sip-4.8.1 required by ('ebuild', '/',
'dev-python/PyQt4-4.5.1', 'merge')
   (and 2 more)

 ('installed', '/', 'dev-python/sip-4.7.9', 'nomerge') pulled in by
   ~dev-python/sip-4.7.9 required by ('installed', '/',
'dev-python/PyQt-3.17.6', 'nomerge')
   (and 2 more)

I found the same message on the forums but found no fix for this.  It
seems sip is not slotted and one qt package needs the old version and
another qt package needs the new version and both sip packages can't be
there at the same time.

Ideas on how to get around this?

Try -python in your make.conf USE setting. That should disable the python bindings. If you run across a package that really needs the python bindings,
enable just it in your /etc/portage/package.use

For details, search for the "PyQt4-4.5 and pykde4-4.2.4 blockers" thread.

HTH,
Roy