On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:21:43 -0700
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Paul
> Hartman<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogor...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> I'm having trouble configuring X, and to save time I'd like to be
> >> able to shut it down, edit some stuff, and start it up again.
> >>
> >> What is the gentoo way to do that?
> >
> > It depends on how you started X in the first place. If you did a
> > "startx" (or similar), logging out should be all you need to do to
> > get out of X. If you use a login manager, XDM/GDM/KDM then it'll
> > restart itself so you'll need to switch to a VT (ctrl-alt-F1) and
> > then sudo /etc/init.d/xdm stop to shut down XDM (and therefore X).
> > You can then rmmod your video drivers or do whatever changes you
> > want to do. sudo /etc/init.d/xdm start to bring it back up.
> >

> Several of you suggested "/etc/init.d/xdm start" or so to get it
> (re)started.  It doesn't work.  Instead the start-stop daemon
> complains of not being able to stat "/usr/bin/xdm" which doesn't
> exist.  And no I didn't mispell it.  I've never seen this before an
> I'm baffled.
>
> ++ kevin

Hi Kevin,

This weekend I needed to stop and start X a lot because I was
experimenting with running dosemu from a tty command line and the
DOS application I'm running under dosemu hangs the command line.

Using an ssh session (from another machine) I found that
"/etc/init.d/xdm stop" works to stop X. However,
restarting is a bit tricky since "/etc/init.d/xdm start" fails because
of files in "/var/lib/init.d/*/xdm".  If one runs "rm -rf /var/lib/init.d/*/xdm"
then runs "/etc/init.d/xdm start" one is good to go.

HTH,

David