Alan E. Davis writes:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Neil Bothwick<n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:16:26 +1000, lngn...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> In grub, it is located first  as hd1 (/dev/sdb) and then as
> >> /dev/sda5.  That is where I want it to be.
> >
> > Those are two different things. the first is GRUB's root directory, the
> > place where is will find its configuration and stage files (i.e. the
> > location of /boot). The root argument on the kernel line is tell the
> > kernel the location of your root filesystem - /.
>
> I need to have the second drive (SATA #2) as the first boot drive
> because that's the drive with the grub setup in the MBR, for Gentoo.

Is there a reason why yo keep having grub on #2? If not, I'd just run grub,
enter
  root (hd0,0)
  setup (hd0)
  quit
, copy /boot/grub/grub.conf over and all should be fine.

If you prefer to leavy it as it is: instead of using the partiton itself
(like /dev/sda5) in grub.conf and fstab, you could try the /dev/disk-by-
label/<label of your root partition> notation. You can use dumpe2fs -h
/dev/sda5 to see the label as Filesystem volume name, and tune2fs -L to
change it. Then it would not matter on which drive the partiton actually is.

        Wonko