On 07/10/2009 08:49 PM, ABCD wrote:
Because I'm seeing some strange things in this thread, let me elucidate
as to what the various LANG/LC_* variables do:

LANG
     sets the default for LC_*, if unset, defaults to "C"

LC_CTYPE [charset]
LC_NUMERIC [number format]
LC_TIME [time format]
LC_COLLATE [sort order]
LC_MONETARY [money format]
LC_MESSAGES [message language]
LC_PAPER [paper size]
LC_NAME [given/family name format]
LC_ADDRESS [mailing address format]
LC_TELEPHONE [country code, etc.]
LC_MEASUREMENT [US customary, SI, etc.]
LC_IDENTIFICATION [???]
     Used as their names suggest, for the various things that can be
     done with locales.  Default to $LANG, if $LANG is unset, defaults
     to "C".

LC_ALL
     Override for LC_*.  If LC_ALL is set, then LC_* is ignored, and the
     value of LC_ALL is used for everything. *Do not* set this in env.d
     unless you know exactly what you are doing.  (Setting LC_ALL=C to
     disable all locale settings, for instance).

Thanks for the clarification.  The only reason I can think of for *not*
setting LC_ALL is that some users on a multi-user system might want to
use a different language. Am I missing something else important?