Greetings, I'm having exactly the same problem and have been trying to
fix it.

Could you please specify where in xorg.conf you placed

setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

And where is the hal configuration file you inserted

input.xkb.options terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

Thanks so very much, this is driving me nuts!

Skippy