On 26 Jul 2009, at 10:12, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
What's about the pictire quality of the Playstation "Eye" Cam,
Scroller? Ok? Good? Better? Best??? ;)))

Well, I haven't tried it under Linux, and I'm afraid I can't easily do so either.

I'll also disclaim myself as not an expert by any means on the subject of webcams, but to my eyes the picture was really good when I tried it with the PS3 and on Windows. I think I compared it with my Macbook's built-in webcam (Windows XP, Apple's bootcamp drivers) & the Playstation Eye was better (also XP, 3rd-party hacker's drivers). I have seen the output of plenty of cheap & nasty webcams, and I would say this is in a better class.

For your application the quality of image indoors & in low-light (which I think is quite good) may not be an advantage; you may find both zoom settings may be quite wide.

But this camera seems quite good quality and feels well made; Linux drivers are available although I've no idea how good they are.

I mentioned this cam in my previous message because I read that it maxes out the USB bus. But if you want to play around with webcams, it can also be picked up quite cheaply - I paid £20 for it (included with the Eye of Judgement card game) at Christmas, and I've seen it more recently for £25.

Stroller.