Hi,

 as far as I think to know ;) (quite unsure about this), NVidia
 has introduced a new protocol (?something like this), which is
 useful for less-CPU-consumpting display of video streams.

 MPlayer (and may be other video-related applikations) does
 support vdpau.

 First tests on my Linux-box with

    mplayer -vo vdpau <video>

 results in a movie "display" with best audio, no video at all
 and concerns from mplayer:

    [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
    Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

 Unfortunately I have absolutely no clue for waht I have to search
 for.
 What/where I have to reconfig/recompile/install/etc. to make my Linux
 box vdpau-aware.

 Or is it such a new thing, that I better have to keep my fingers off
 that?

 Have a nice sunday!
 Best regards,
  Meino Cramer