Alex Schuster wrote:

> direct rendering: Yes

Great!

> I thought OpenGL support were better? And there is power saving. Although I
> have an onboard card, so I would not have a loud spinning fan.

Well, the drivers I use (ati-drivers-8.552-r2) are working "perfectly"
(in combination with my current kernel, gentoo-sources-2.6.25-r9) for
all the applications that I have installed/use on my machine. Stability
is an issue for me and until the open source driver has matured I will
stay with this. I have no need for opengl 3+ currently as no
applications that I have installed support it.

> Thanks! But you motivated me to give the new drivers a try.

Ah, well, that's something at least... :-)

> Okay, I just did it. Emerged ati-drivers 9.7. Got a locked display, but
> after a reboot, all is fine. Wow! Maybe the problem last time was that I
> tried 9.6, or I did not reboot. Whatever.

Well, X drivers has some bits that needs to be synchronised: a kernel
space glue (DRM module) and the user space X driver. So if you have
upgraded you need to kill X, unload the old kernel module and load the
new one, start X again. If you didn't know this already...

> Thanks again, I needed a little kick.

Bitte schön!

MfG

Peter K