On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I been looking for a way to "disable" this so called "feature" but I
>>> can't find anything to disable this Google thing Seamonkey does.  I
>>> bookmark a lot of websites and use keywords to go to them.  The local
>>> weather forecast for example is "fore".  It works but Google gets in the
>>> way.
>>>
>>> Now to explain a little.  When I mouse click in the address location and
>>> enter "fore", this little thing pops up and wants to do a Google search
>>> for the word "fore".  Naturally this does NOT get me to the local
>>> weather forecast since it bypasses looking for the keyword.  I like the
>>> history feature that pops up but I want to get rid of the Google search
>>> part.  If I want to search for something with Google, I type in gg and
>>> then type in what I am searching for.
>>>
>>> I have looked in preferences, even looked at the USE flags but I can't
>>> figure out how to get rid of this.  It is annoying as heck.  I like
>>> Google but I know how to get there myself, even have a shortcut to get
>>> there.  How do I get rid of this?
>>>
>>> Thanks much.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>

>> On my Seamonkey, it only does the Google search if I move down to the
>> "Google search 'fore'" and click it/press enter on it. Otherwise it
>> goes to DNS. (I do not have "Internet Keywords" enabled in seamonkey)
>>

> I think what it is is this, I click on the location bar and my mouse
> moves down a little when I type something in.  I'm a old fart so I look
> down at my keyboard a lot when I type, especially when I am coming back
> from the mouse.  I think that when I hit return the mouse is just under
> the location bar which when I hit return makes it go to the Google
> search thing.
>
> Makes me want to learn source code and get rid of that and a couple
> other things too.  I don't like that right click options to much.
>
> Maybe this is one of those times when problem is in the chair?  ;-)
>
> Dale

Perhaps :) I've definitely done that about a million times by
accident. What happens to me usually is I click in the location bar so
I can type a URL, then I nudge my mouse out of the way so I can see
what I'm typing. As I'm typing, the mouse drifts 1 pixel, causing the
"Google search 'blah'" bar to become highlighted. When I press enter
to go to my URL, it googles the URL instead, causing me to mutter
workplace-inappropriate things to myself. My cure for this: use
control-L instead of the mouse to put the focus on the location bar...
except for the 50% of the time when I forget to do that and use the
mouse instead.

I use the Google search from the location bar on purpose all the time,
though; it is my primary method of googling. I type something and
press downarrow-enter and off I go. I can't even remember the last
time I went to google.com directly.