I can't get netkit-rsh (not that I want it but it's an (indirect)
runtime dependency of xinit).  This is a brand new machine that I'm
building.

Basically the error is:

        Checking for BSD signal semantics... no
        This package needs BSD signal semantics to run.
        sed: can't read MCONFIG: No such file or directory

Upon inspection of the ./configure script, I see it is compiling and
running the following snippet:

#include <unistd.h>
#include <signal.h>
int count=0;
void handle(int foo) { count++; }
int main() {
    int pid=getpid();
    signal(SIGINT, handle);
    kill(pid,SIGINT);
    kill(pid,SIGINT);
    kill(pid,SIGINT);
    if (count!=3) return 1;
    return 0;
}

If I compile this on the target machine, it exits with 1. I checked and
count=0.  If I compile this on another machine it exits with 0.  Even
when I take the compiled exe from the other machine and copy it to the
target machine it exits 1.

This is disturbing.

Any ideas?

2.6.30-gentoo-r5