Albert Hopkins wrote:
>> Openrc no longer supports the softlevel= option on the kernel command
>> line (this hit me as well, as I use a number of different runlevels).
>> Instead, pass "S" to skip just about everything, and start a root shell
>> (via sulogin), or "1" to do the equivalent of "/sbin/rc single" (that
>> is, drop the softlevel=boot completely, and add the single character "S"
>> or "1" after a space).
>>
>> An example from my grub.conf:
>>
>>     title    Gentoo, current kernel (single user)
>>     kernel   (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 1
>>
>>     title    Gentoo, current kernel (root shell)
>>     kernel   (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 S
>>
>> I also have my /etc/inittab set up so that init's runlevels 2-5 go into
>> rc's various runlevels (on my machine, 2=default, 3=gui, 4=network,
>> 5=gui-network).
>>

> This is possibly an (unreported) bug.
>
> Just for S&G I booted with "softlevel=BOOT" on an Openrc and it reports
> that there is no runlevel BOOT and then basically puts me in single
> level mode :|, but "softlevel=boot" seems to be ignored.  I think it
> "should" support it... why else would rc-update work with different
> runlevels it you are not able to use them?  Also the man pages for
> rc-update and rc seem to reflect this.
>
> FWIW I usually forgo the runlevels and just use init=/bin/bash because
> it doesn't prompt for the root password and pretty much the only time i
> need to boot into single user is when I've forgotten the root
> password :P
>
> -a

I agree, this should be reported so it can be fixed.  While
init-/bin/bash would work, it shouldn't be the only option.  Who would
want to put that option in grub and make it easy for someone to hack in?

I did try softlevel=single a bit ago and it booted all the way but with
no GUI.  It went waaaay past single tho.  rc-status reported it was in
single user mode but it wasn't.  Console #2 and up was working but X
didn't start.

Pretty darn weird.  :/  Who's going to open the can of Raid?

Dale

:-)  :-)