On 08/21/2009 08:20 AM, Song Zhiwei wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to install gentoo to an embedded system and I'd like to mount
/var to RAM as tmpfs. How can I do it? I tried to add mount command into
the file /etc/conf.d/rc-extra, but it didnot work.

Mount points are specified in /etc/fstab. I mount my /var/tmp/portage there with:

  none  /var/tmp/portage  tmpfs  defaults  0 0

You can look-up the tmpfs mount options to specify the amount of RAM. Default is half the RAM in the system.

With that being said, your system will break horribly if you mount /var as a tmpfs. /var is supposed to survive reboots.