i am working in a corporation network, very fast and stable.

i think it is because the portage in the official livecd is too old
that it cannot work with new portage snapshot.

here is my trick to resolve this problem:

after untar the portage-latest to the new system, and chroot, i do
emerge -u portage to update the portage separately, then i do
emerge-webrsync, then i got everything works ;)

--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84