On Aug 28, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Neal Hogan wrote:

I realize this has been a hot topic over the years, but I can't find
anything that helps me out and I'm getting to the point where I'm
repeating searches.

I have a fresh install of gentoo:

Linux russell 2.6.30-gentoo-r4 #1 SMP Tue Aug 25 19:34:39 CDT 2009
i686 AMD Athlon(tm) Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

I only want this machine to act as my DVR. I've installed mythtv (and
those package and libs it needs) and whenever I run mythtv-setup I
get:

I had this same problem (but it was on a 32-bit Intel box). I turned out to be a newer version of mesa. So, I had to mask the current stable version and install the old. You could try that.