Nick Khamis wrote:
I should also point out that we are interested in load balancing and high availability. Regards,
Ninus.

Alright there's a lot going on here so I'm going to break down the last ten years of dealing with sort of thing into three pages. :-)

Stability vs Flexibility
I'm a start up guy (five and counting) so I always prefer flexibility, but you need to decide based on your application. Also depends on how much money you have to build in fault tolerance, back ups, etc. You yourself as the admin also need to be disciplined in your methods. That means having actual QA processes, test/stage VMs, unit tests, and being able to enforce those processes. Gentoo allows enormous flexibility and being able to have things like glibc-2.9 immediately while RHEL4 shipped with 2.3 and RHEL5 with 2.5 means you can take advantage of incremental fixes in NPTL that is missing in stable distros. Also having gcc-4.4 is a big win on modern processors.

Mysql
Definitely go with Mysql 5.1 and hell if you're going to be building your own or if it's already in an overlay somewhere look at Mysql 5.4. Basically it's 5.1 plus the Google, Percona, and everyone else that has been rolling custom patches for Mysql. If you don't want to be that far out on the bleeding edge look at using Percona's build, linked below. If you want to go way way way out to the bleeding edge and can wait a year to ramp up, Drizzle is very interesting.

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-54.html
http://www.percona.com/percona-lab.html
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/
http://drizzle.org/wiki/Drizzle_Features

High Availability
Round Robin db masters almost never works unless you've designed your schema from the ground up to work that way. If you're wondering if yours was, it wasn't. Even when you do it right it can be flakey. Easier and simpler to write to one master which then writes to a number of slaves. If you want to get fancy to you can have two round robin masters with two slave each. When a master fails you need to point to the other master as well as pull the two slaves from the broken master out or rotation. How to accomplish that is up to you, but I prefer a somewhat manual process. Swapping masters around automatically is usually a good way to end up with corrupt data somewhere. YMMV. Simple round robin VIPs should work with your Mysql slaves. Not sure if Ultramonkey does that. Connection pools usually suck and I wouldn't bother with them as modern OS threading makes it nearly pointless. Make sure your application is closing Mysql connections properly which I've had issue with far too often.

Storage Engines in Mysql
Sphinx
Don't use myisam tables for full text searches. Hell if you have the time don't use your database for full text search, but if you do look at using the Sphinx full text engine. You'll need to build the plugin yourself.

Innodb
        Use the innodb plugins, it's much faster

Myisam
        Don't use. Really.

xtradb
        Innodb fork by Percona. Looks interesting and I have tried it.

Things to remember about databases
Buffers are configured on a per storage engine basis. If you give 12GB to Innodb you can't also give 12GB to Sphinx... unless you have a 32GB machine. RAID 10 is your friend, but RAM is almost always better *if* your database will fit into RAM. Make sure your RAID card has battery backup, write cache on your disks is turned off, and that you actually check your RAID card's config to make sure cache is turned on an DMA or whatever is enabled. It's almost never correct out of the box. Fixing your queries, index, and schema is 10-100x more effective than dicking around with Mysql settings, custom compile, and hardware tweaks unless you've done something really moronic. mysqldump will not give consistent backups of Innodb. Use a slave, stop the slave, take a backup preferably through LVM snapshotting so it doesn't take forever, bring the slave back up and put it into rotation. Stored procedures will make your life difficult. It's easy to say code-1.3.2 is on production. It's hard to say code-1.3.2 and stored-procs-1.1.1 are on production when the push process is different, the teams are different, etc. You *can* manage it, but given a choice it buys you very little and I never meet a DBA that didn't like to tweak things directly. Hell I've meet far too many that needed to taught how to checkin code.

kashani