On 09/06/2009 03:50 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Sonntag 06 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 09/06/2009 02:26 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Sonntag 06 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 09/06/2009 01:48 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Samstag 05 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 09/05/2009 05:59 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
1000 Hz timer freq

change that to 300

Did you mean tickless system with "noticks"? I have this enabled ATM

deactivate that.

Even with that, there still are problems.  With composite enabled,
move an mplayer window around and see how the video starts to skip big
amounts of frames at the moment you start moving and when you "drop"
it again.  The compositor takes away CPU time and mplayer starves for
a short time.  BFS solves this.

nope. No drops. vlc, xine, mplayer. At least no visible drop - and none
of the three is complaining.

Well, not here.

But there is a pro-tip: use a non-broken X. aka one with

fedora_dont_backfill_bg_none.patch

I do use that.

Also, have you considered that you got it all backwards?  The kernel
configuration tells you that for lower latencies, you should use
1000Hz and PREEMPT.  It even says "Desktop" right there.  Why should I
take your word over that of the kernel devs who actually wrote that
code?

low latency means bad throughput and that hurts IO.

GUI stalls still happen with high latency settings.  Doesn't seem to
matter; 300Hz, 1000Hz, tickless or not, PREEMPT or not, multicore
scheduler or not, all the same.  GUI stalls during load.  It only goes
away with Con's scheduler.

attached is my config. Because I don't need Con's scheduler for a nice
desktop experience.

Good for you.  I'm attaching mine.

What am I doing wrong?

I don't know.  Maybe it's just that you're as perceptive as the average
turtle.

and maybe you should decrapify your config a bit? Namespaces? Seccomp? Process
accounting? no compat vdso?

You really hate performance, do you?

I've enabling and disabling that stuff for ages and it never helped. That just happens to be the current config.