On 2009-09-05, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2009-09-05, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> As some may know already, I recently got DSL.
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> The DSL modem I am using is the Motorola 2210.  It seems to be
>>> a gateway thing.  I have no router at the moment
>>>

>> The 2210 is a router that is doing NAT with a stateful
>> firewall.  It will (assuming it's not too buggy) prevent
>> outside access to your network.
>>
>> If you buy a second router (e.g. a Linksys or DLink), you'll
>> just be duplicating the NAT/firewall/routing functions in the
>> 2210. You can do that if you want.  I used to run a two layer
>> NAT setup with a Cisco 678 DSL modem (configure to forward all
>> TCP/UDP ports) and an OpenWRT gateway.  There were features I
>> needed that OpenWRT had that the Cisco didn't.
>>
>> Unless there's something specific that you want to do that
>> isn't supported by the 2210 (or you're aware of deficiencies in
>> the 2210), I probably wouldn't bother adding a second firewall
>> box.
>
> I was thinking about buying a router IF I build a second box and need to
> share the internet with it.  The modem only has one port

Probably all you need is an Ethernet switch, though there are
some DSL modems that have been intentionally crippled in an
attempt to make them work with only a single client.

My sister has one.  It will support a /16 internal network just
fine except that the DSL modem's DHCP server will only hand out
a single address (and there's no way to shut off the DHCP
server so you can let something else take over).  You could
fill the house with machines as long as they all have
statically assigned addresses.

> and apparently zero reconfigurability because when I log in,
> there are no options to change anything except what time it
> updates the modem software.  So, I hope it works well.  o_O

If you do want something else, you can add a second
firewall/router, or you can probably replace the 2210 with
something a bit more configurable.  I've installed a couple
Zoom DSL modems. They work fine, and were fairly configurable.

What would be coolest would be something supported by OpenWRT,
but I was never able to find such a thing.

--
Grant