On 09/08/2009 08:16 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Monday 07 September 2009 22:29:31 walt wrote:
On 09/07/2009 02:02 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
I tried it, but on my box it can't detect either of the DVD drives, so
I can't install a client.

Hm, never tried that.  The reason is that I've always just used an iso
file 'mounted' on the virtual machine's CD/DVD player to install a guest.
  Most open-source OS's supply the install disk in the form of an iso
file, and to install Windows I create an iso file from the original
CD/DVD first.

The trouble is that there isn't a CD or DVD player on the vm at all;
only /dev/fd0, which isn't a lot of use to me.

You've confused me there.  We're talking about VirtualBox, right? Every
time I create a new virtual machine it automatically has a virtual CD/DVD
player on which I can mount ISO files.  Just tell vbox which ISO image you
want mounted on the virtual CD player and start the vm.

Are you seeing something very different at your end?