Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 4:43 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Can someone tell me what this means?
>>
>> r...@smoker / # emerge -p --depclean
>>
>>  * Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
>>  * mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
>>  * be kept.  They can be manually added to this set with
>>  * `emerge --noreplace <atom>`.  Packages that are listed in
>>  * package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
>>  * depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
>>  *
>>  * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
>>  * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved.  As a
>>  * consequence, it is often necessary to run `emerge --update
>>  * --newuse --deep @system @world` prior to depclean.
>>
>> Calculating dependencies... done!

>>  * In order to avoid breakage of link level dependencies, one or more
>>  * packages will not be removed. This can be solved by rebuilding the
>>  * packages that pulled them in.
>>  *
>>  *   dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r3 pulled in by:
>>  *     app-office/scribus-1.3.3.11
>>  *

>>  \
>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>>

>> I have re-compiled scribus about three times now.  I have also ran
>> python-updater a few times and it just keeps rebuilding scribus and
>> boost in a endless loop.  What am I missing here?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

> Possibly scribus isn't compatible with python-2.6? The few times I've
> run into this with depclean I've removed the app (scribus in this
> case) cleaned up the machine with depclean and revdep-rebuild, and
> then reinstalled the app from scratch. If it tries to pull in
> phython-2.5 then you just have to make a choice whether you want it or
> not. (Or look for a mased ebuild, etc.
>
> - Mark

LOL  Since I would rather try to remove Scribus than python, I'll remove
Scribus, do some cleaning, then reinstall and see what happens.  We all
know what could happen if I remove python that portage is using.  o_O

I'll report back if it continues after all this.  Thanks to both Alan
and Mark on this one.  I was getting drunk going around in circles with
this.

Dale

:-)  :-)