Am Montag, 21. September 2009 schrieb James:

> When I boot a newer kernel, either kernel-2.6.29-gentoo-r5
> or kernel-2.6.30-gentoo-r4 my kde [4] menu bar across the bottom
> of the screen is gone.  I still get a few kconsole sessions
> that always start upon booting up, but all of the other kde
> tools seem to be missing or hidden.

I've had a similar issue when switching logins between KDE 4 and 3 regularly -
The menu went missing in 3 from time to time. As solution I was told to run
kbuildsycoca. In your case (for KDE4) you need to run kbuildsycoca4.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
"Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy." (R. Heinlein)