> I'm trying to setup acpi, but I cannot get it work

Hello,

I didn't set up acpi for power save yet, but I did do it for getting my
laptop to go to sleep on lid close, and it was really easy.  Since I imagine
this might be a function you also want (and I got it working really easily),
you might try your hand at this first to be sure acpi events are generally
working.

If others had given some more knowledgeable and specific reply, I'd omit
comment, since my response is somewhat peripheral.  But at least this might
be somewhere to start.

I attach my log file for setting up sleep (I omitted what kernel
configurations I set, so if you need me to try and figure that out, let me
know, since I should have included it in my own log file).  I think this
requires at least kernel 2.6.27.

~daid
# emerge hibernation-script

# emerge acpid

Minimal configurations in /etc/hiberate
        common.conf

Make some scripts in /etc/acpi

# vi lid.sh

        !#/bin/bash

        sudo hibernate-ram

# chmod +x lid.sh

In /etc/acpi/events

# vi lid

        event=button/lid.*
        action=/etc/acpi/lid.sh

at the end of visudo, have something like

        daid ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/hibernate-ram, /usr/sbin/hibernate

although since the script has root permissions, this is probably not necessary
unless you run it from the command line

now closing and opening the lid should work just fine.  There was already some
kde functionaily where it locked the screen on close, and now when I open,
that's my prompt.  If there are problems, then you may want to enable this
functionailty first, which I do not recall, because I had the "lock screen on
close" function enabled in kde on lid-close signal much earlier than I had
sleep working correctly.  However, I recall reading in one of the hibernate
manuals that such a feature was necessary, but maybe I can test and see...

06 Apr 2009 16:55:45

Tested remounting filesystems.  It seems to used /etc/fstab to understand where
to mount partitions, and what the filesystems are.  Thus, the line in
/etc/hibernate/common.conf:

        Mount /dev/sda2 /dev/sda4

Will check fstab for entries for /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda4, and if it finds those
disks, it will mount them according to the rules of fstab.  This is handy for
multiple partitions, so you aren't forced to manually remount all the time.

However, there is still the problem where if a program is accessing one of the
drives to be unmounted suspend will simply not occur.  I want to override this,
either by force quitting the application, or something...

Well, since I have my Mac OS and Win XP partitions in fstab as ro (read-only),
there's not an obvious need to unmount them at sleep time.  This will also
eliminate the fact that if any of the other paritions are being accessed (even
by something like a Konsole window that has pwd within one of the partitions to
be unmounted), then the hibernate will fail, and the computer will stay awake!
This can be disasterous if you don't realize it's not asleep, and then unplug
the power and then the system crashes.  not only are you mounted in all the
paritions, but the entire system is just power unplugged, which is crap.