On Oct 3, 2009, at 10:07 AM, hp_sebastian wrote:

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 09:42:42 -0500 Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
How to make eix search an overlay too.

The manpage for layman says:

  You can search through the ebuilds available in the overlays on
  http://overlays.gentoo.org by using "eix". Emerge the package and
  run update-eix-remote update.

But I find no such option in eix or eix --help|grep update
or 'man eix' although I do find eix-remote and eix-layman.

eix-update adds overlays to the eix-database. If you use eix-sync
instead of emerge --sync, you don't have to run eix-update afterwards.

[...]

update-eix-remote is an executable, not an option to the eix executable. After running update-eix-remote your normal eix queries will include overlays.

HTH,
Roy