2009/10/4 Jesús Guerrero <i92gu...@terra.es>:
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 01:22:47 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards
> <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What editor do you prefer, then?
>>
>> I'm an emacs guy.  I've been using emacs (or various clones
>> such as jove and jed) for 25 years now.
>>
>>> IIRC when I was at uni (c 2000) one of the TA's suggested Joe
>>> as an alternative to the traditional Unix editors. I have been
>>> making a little effort in the last year or two to come to
>>> grips with vi or vim, and am starting to prefer it, but ISTM
>>> that the problem with traditional Unix editors (i.e. vi &
>>> emacs) is that they depend upon learning obscure keyboard
>>> shortcuts.
>>
>> I don't have any problem learning keystrokes.  I do have
>> problems with vi's modality.
>
> That's just one of the things I dislike about vi and all the vi clones out
> there. To me it is like the difference between edit to live and live to
> edit. It's a good editor and I respect people who like and use vi, but I
> refuse to use it unless there's absolutely no other option.

I've been using vi (or vim, where available) for a few years, and I
really like some of the features. What I like most is the double mode
(command and edit). I find it really easy to use and saves me a lot of
time. But I'm pretty sure that's just because I didn't bother learning
any other editor (like emacs), and vi can be found at almost ALL linux
distros I've come across in the last few years...

It's a matter of taste. Some may argue about that (completely
pointless), and that just proves that's useless. You like it, you use
it, advocate it, but never impose it.

--
Daniel da Veiga