Zhengquan Zhang wrote:
> to be frank, it really amazes me that gentoo has so many options for a
> simple task. It looks really flexible. I came from debian.

Well, to quote a old song, you ain't seen nothing yet.  It amazes me
that you can ask how to find out something and you get about 5 or 6
different ways to do the same thing.  That's not even counting different
options that can be used for the same command.

I would urge you to check into the "q" command and equery.  I !think!
the "q" command is part of portage.  It may be part of gentoolkit tho.
Just the "q" command has more than a dozen different things it does.
equery can do a lot too but some say it has some "accuracy" problems at
times.  It works for my little simple stuff tho.

Hope that gives you a little more pointers.

Dale

:-)  :-)