Michael Higgins <li...@evolone.org> wrote:
> Heh. Let me google that *exact error string* for you, by way of
> illustration...

Thanks, Michael - I generally turn to google first.  It's been a tough
day, and I appreciate you pointing this out to me.
I ran into another snag, this time with x11-libs/libXext-1.0.4 - it
would not compile with x11-proto/xextproto-7.0.5.  But downgrading to
x11-proto/xextproto-7.0.4 fixed that!  When I saw that one fail, I
thought to myself "this is gonna be a long night"...  ha.  But
happily, everything compiled in the end, and xorg-x11 is now
installed.  I will see the state of things tomorrow when I get into
the office.

Keith Dart <ke...@dartworks.biz> wrote:
> The close-source binaries like Mathematica are usually the problem.
> They almost always lag behind the current open-source offering and only
> support older, stable versions of libraries. So if you really want to
> run that I would recommend that you stick with stable arch and
> re-compile and/or re-install your base system. You have /home on a
> separate partition, right?

Keith - thanks for the thoughts.  As I reiterated before, I am not
arguing that Mathematica isn't the source of the problem.  Other than
Mathematica crashing X, I had no other problems with X since the
upgrade to libxcb-1.4 and xorg-server-1.6.  So my action to downgrade
and revert to the previous configuration shouldn't be taken to mean
that the upgrade was crappy - it just doesn't seem to agree with the
proprietary software I am currently running.  I would much rather
upgrade Mathematica, but that is not an option for me at this time.
Thankfully, I was able to remove X and reinstall it based on the
previous versions of the libraries....  I don't yet know whether this
resolved my Mathematica issue - I will test tomorrow.  But I will
investigate the install script for Mathematica and see what it does.

Denis