On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 14:51 -0400, Albert Hopkins wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 19:41 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > >
> > > You also can remove all "InputDevice" sections as those are
> > controlled
> > > by hal.
> > >

> > he should let them in, but he can remove all FontPath and modules
> > entries. And
> > yes, 'vesa' has to be changed.
>
> Or you could remove xorg.conf altogether and let hal handle all the
> work.

xorg with hal does not work well on many systems - and hal on my laptop
(i915) was a disaster.  Resolutions I have been using for years
disappear and changing screens/projectors (its a laptop used for
presentations) seriously confused it, if it even worked at all.  And the
few times it did, it was not possible to optimise it as the autoconfig
kept picking strange, non-optimal resolutions.

Instead of trying hal, I'd recommend compiling xorg-server with -hal and
using xorg.conf to tell the system what it should do (and probably set
UXA acceleration and turn off EDID and DDC in xorg.conf).  This is one
case where auto-detection isn't working well at all - and it should :(

BillK