2009/10/20 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>:
> On Tuesday 20 October 2009 13:00:04 Mick wrote:
>> I really, really depend on Kmail and to some extent on Konqueror
>> (fish, webdav and also as a file manager).  This is an old laptop
>> overdue for replacement - so could hold onto KDE3.5 with this one and
>> jump straight into KDE4 when I buy a new laptop within a month or so.
>>
>> How is Kmail/Konqueror behaving on KDE4?
>>

> KMail is fine on 4.3.2. I had issues with it randomly crashing when I moved
> mails around, but that seems to have been sorted with the latest version.
>
> Konqueror - well now, that's a different story:
>
> - web shortcuts (gg:  wp:  etc) do not work. At all. Period.
> - randomly suddenly using 100% cpu when visiting forum sites (NO flash). Only
> workaround is to kill konqueror
> - fish:// does not work
> - last merged toolbar item in toolbars randomly moves around, often triggered
> by switching between filemanager and browser modes
> - plugin support is awful. Forget AJAX, it does not work which counts out
> gmail and half the support sites I use at work

Oh dear!  Have you confirmed these on different machines - just in case?

I have removed pambase from world (how did that end up in there?) and
rebuilt PyQt4 with sql and webkit, as well as net-libs/libgadu with
threads that came up when I tried to run update world.  Now I have a
lorry load of KDE4 packages wanting to be installed:

238 packages (3 upgrades, 131 new, 103 in new slots, 1 reinstall, 2
uninstalls), Size of downloads: 484,302 kB
Conflict: 2 blocks

I will probably have to face this sooner rather than later.  What's
the best way to do this?  Uninstall *everything* from KDE3.5 and then
launch into this KDE4 upgrade marathon, or just emerge KDE4 in new
slots?
--
Regards,
Mick