On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:56:24 -0700, "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogor...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Having just emerged what looked like a couple of hundred things, many of
> them KDE-4 related, I'm surprised that on reboot I'm still running KDE
3.5.
> Moreover, there's only /usr/kde/3.5, no 4*.  The only change I noticed
was
> in the background of the login dialog.

You will not see an /usr/kde/4.x unless you have USE=kdeprefix. Since 4.x,
kde by default is installed on your regular system prefix, instead of
creating his own. So your kde binaries will usually live in /usr/bin, and
each component will go to the right place just like for any other package.

> Should I just wait, or is there something I should be doing?

I have no experience mixing branches of kde. As long as you have the 4.x
version of kdebase-startkde you should have a way to start kde4, how to do
it will depend no how do you start X. You seem to use kdm, I can't really
help with that because I don't use a DM. If you use startx from command
line it's just a matter of using the correct binary on your ~/.xinitrc, in
this case /usr/bin/startkde if I am not mistaken.
--
Jesús Guerrero