On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 10:01 -0400, Duncan Smith wrote:
> The company I work for is using gentoo on all its machines.  We just
> got a license to a commercial tool which does not support gentoo.  The
> closest thing it supports is RHEL v4.
>
> Running any command provided by the tool results in an explosive
> memory leak (virtual memory hits 400G in 1 second, and continues to
> climb).
>
> I suspect the problem is that RHEL v4 uses =sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4,
> whereas we have =sys-libs/glibc-2.9_p20081201-r2 installed.
>
> I have three questions:
>  1. Am I posting to the right list?

You are just just as likely to get support from Gentoo about software we
have no access to as your distributer is to support Gentoo.

>  2. Any idea what's going on?  Could it be something other than glibc
> causing the problem?

It could be one of a hundred million things.  Without access to the
program it's really hard to tell.

>  3. If it is glibc, is there some way to install glibc slotted?  Could
> I install an old version of glibc to some other lib folder (like
> /opt/lib64), and then use LD_LIBRARY_PATH somehow to get the tool to
> look there first?  How?

You can't have multiple versions of glibc.  And you can't downgrade
glibc.  Attempting to do so may result in having more than just that
program misbehaving ;)

My suggestion, for your sanity and support: if you insist on Gentoo then
at least run RHEL4 (or CentOS or whatever) inside a virtual machine and
run your app from there.