On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 5:16 AM, Helmut Jarausch <
jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> After a long search on the net I've found out
> that the permissions of the usb device are set wrong
> (root.usb)
> It looks like an UDEV rule installed by sane-backends
> sets the user to root and the group to usb.
> With these settings CUPS won't recognize/use the printer.
>
> I had to add the following rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
> (e.g.)
>
> ATTR{idVendor}=="0482", ATTR{idProduct}=="0015", MODE:="0777",
>  GROUP:="lp", USER:="lp", ENV{libsane_matched}:="yes"
>
> where one has to vary the idVendor and idProduct, of course.
>
> Even for a casual Gentoo user that's neither trivial nor comfortable.
> If the printer breaks sometime one has to remember to change that rule.
> And it wasn't easy to find that advice.
>
> Where should I report a bug to ?
> net-print/cups
> or
> media-gfx/sane-backends
> or where else?

Hmm, I'm not entirely convinced there is a bug here... I don't have your
particular situation, but on my system, cupsd runs as root, which means that
it should be able to access the device just fine, whether it's set up as lp
or usb. Is it possible that the user that you are logged in as isn't a
member of the "usb" group?

-James