Albert Hopkins schrieb:

> I'm using evdev with hal.  I'm told if you use this combination you
> shouldn't have any input devices in xorg.conf.  In fact I don't even
> have an xorg.conf in either my Gentoo or Fedora machines and they both
> work fine. YMMV.

Nice for you. I just gave that a try and removed xorg.conf ... but I run
two monitors on a Nvidia-card so to define their resolutions and
positions I had to generate a config ... and that in turn also contains
input-sections. Removing those only still did not give me working mm-keys.

> Well, it's interesting that it shows EmulateWheelButton because there's
> nothing on the keyboard physically that appears to do that. But anyway,
> "just works"

I have that EmulateWheelButton (for the keyboard) as well ...

> I have INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard synaptics mouse" in make.conf and
> in the GNOME keyboard preferences I just have "Evdev-managed keyboard".
> For kernel config I have:
>
> $ zgrep EVDEV /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=y
> CONFIG_USB_VIDEO_CLASS_INPUT_EVDEV=y
> # CONFIG_USB_PWC_INPUT_EVDEV is not set

Thanks a lot for your helpful infos.

--

Mine looks quite OK now as well:

(II) config/hal: Adding input device Lite-On Technology USB Productivity
Option Keyboard( has the hub in # 1 )
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input//evdev_drv.so
(II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        compiled for 1.6.3.901, module version = 2.2.5
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0
(**) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): always reports core events
(**) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(II) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): Found 12 mouse buttons
(II) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): Found keys
(II) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): Configuring as keyboard
(**) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10,
EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Lite-On Technology USB
Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in # 1 )" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Lite-On Technology USB Productivity
Option Keyboard( has the hub in # 1 )
(**) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): always reports core events
(**) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): Device: "/dev/input/event1"
(II) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): Found keys
(II) Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in
# 1 ): Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Lite-On Technology USB
Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in # 1 )" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "de"
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
(**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event0"
(II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Found 12 mouse buttons
(II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
(II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Found scroll wheel(s)
(II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Configuring as mouse
(**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 4,
EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical
Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: (accel) filter chain progression: 2.00
(**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: (accel) filter stage 0: 20.00 ms
(**) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: (accel) set acceleration profile 0
(II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: initialized for relative axes.

---> No more errors or warnings ... and "evdev" is used ... OK.

I still get no output/event for those upper seven keys ... oh my.
At least I got a cleaned up xorg.conf for now ;-)

It ain't that important although I would like to see them working, it's
a bit hard to understand that issues like this don't just work as well.

Thanks anyway for help, Stefan