Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
yes, don't use locate. Also check the symlinks. Reset them with eselect gcc if you have to.

Then try all your emerges with --tree you get a lot more helpfull output. Also, when a dependency is missing revdep-rebuilt loves to fail. You can hunt that down with --tree or just re--emerging the stuff.
Thanks very much, it looks as if "eselect gcc" was where I needed to start. I've had to re-build gcc and then revdep-rebuild worked, and I'm working through "emerge -uDNav world" - which seems to be running more smoothly.

I was surprised that I managed to get into such a mess so easily... but I seem to be back on track now.

Thanks.