On 8 Nov 2009, at 22:51, Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Monday 09 November 2009 00:41:08 Stroller wrote:
Any time I spend messing with obscure kernel config options is time I
could be spending reading a good book, instead [1].
Sorry, spending time configuring my kernel loses, as does this thread.

And yet you use gentoo....

Considering what gentoo is and how one interfaces with it, should you not rather be using a binary distro where someone else does the heavy lifting?
Something like Fedora, OpenSuse, Ubuntu?

Not at all.

Are you taking this discussion combatively?

I like Gentoo, I'm used to it, familiar with it (at least fairly so), I find it easy. When I've tried other distros I've found myself wasting time for various reasons.

I find CLI configuration reassuring - this is basically why I switched away from Windows - because at the command line I "know" that an operation has performed successfully, instead of having to rely on a checkbox which is supposed to work like magic.

I suspect that, ultimately, it's the USE flags that save me time. If I have to recompile _by hand_ just one or two programs because a binary distro doesn't include the options I need, or because it adds GUI dependencies which I don't want "cluttering up" my headless server, then that is probably a bigger waste of my time than using Gentoo. Remember that if I do that I also have to manage those packages manually, check for updates, worry about them getting clobbered by the distro's own updates, have hassle when other installed packages demand a dependency which I have fulfilled with this manual installation.

What do you think is demanding or time-wasting about Gentoo?

I just don't see why I should spend time messing with something, just because you (or Volker or anyone, not to make this personal) doesn't like the way it "looks". When it works perfectly!

Stroller.